Sunday, February 4, 2024

This made me laugh

At the age of fourteen, living at Perillup on my Stepfathers Land settlement Farm. And our neighbour recently moved onto a farm about two km down the road, he offered me a job driving a tractor, as he saw me driving the tractor from our Farm ploughing fire breaks when a fire was out of control in the area, I also plowing fire breaks around the neighbour's farm.
I was plowing on his property all day until late just before sundown, I finished plowing unhitched the plow and heading home, driving the tractor across the paddock a large stump got caught under the tractor and jacked it up, (a stump is a mally root) one of the large back wheels was air born, I had no hope of getting it off the stump, it would need another tractor or a truck to pulled off, it was getting  on dusk and i should have been back at the homes of this farmer, as i didn't arrive back to the farm house and it was about 7pm he came looking for me, he had already had a Shower and was dressed in fancy cloths and Japanese Slippers, never seen by me before on a farm, well it was funny seeing him dressed like that, walking around the tractor not knowing what to do, the ground was soft in places, then all of a sudden his foot sunk in the soft ground up to his knee, he lost his slipper, well i laughed and my belly hurt with laughter i couldn't stop laughing, he was furious, and could not see the funny side as i did.
                                     -----------------------
Another day on the same farm and plowing the ground as before another mally-root grazed the side of the big tire and snapped the tit off (the tit is where you put air in the tyre), the big back tyres are full of water to give them weight and traction, the water sprayed out of the tyre, so with a quick thought i unhitched the tractor from the plow and headed back to the Home and machinery shed, just as well as it would have been a difficult job for me to mend the big tractor tyre in the paddock, what the Farmer did was make me change the tyre by myself, he probably didn’t know how, or still upset from me laughing at him losing his japanese slipper, so I changed the tyre and put a new tube in it by myself, just a kid but I taught him a lessons as he was what we call a City farmer. (With Japanese slippers)


                                                Copyright (c)

No comments: